Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 41,521 to 41,540 of 41,912

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Well, that was exactly my point. Well, for the most part. I don't advocate PC gaming, because yes, you could get far better results than on any current or future console, but it'll also cost far more, and the return on investment is definitely not short term, so in the end, the console is still the best place for high end gaming, at a reasonably affordable price. Which is of course the exact selling point of the video game console in the first place....

@bimmy-lee Yeah, it was fun reading through all that, so I thought I'd share. I was a bit disappointed at some of the less elaborate mentions, though. And for games and occurrences that were actually quite important or worthwhile, if you ask me. But still: it was a nice trip through memory lane.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature No prob! FF VI is listed as Final Fantasy III on the menu, so that could be why you don't remember it. The naming is weird as it was the third FF to come to America, after the original and (IIRC) IV/"II". The other three didn't make it over here until some time later, from what I've read.

@Heavyarms55 I simultaneously both liked and disliked Ultra Sun for that reason. It felt like what the original Sun/Moon should have been in terms of content, though ironically I prefer the less insane story in the original Gen 7 games. But in nearly everything else, I felt Ultra was a step up. DLC could have easily satisfied many of the additions.

I've disliked the yearly release fix they've been on lately and am happy that they seem to be taking a break of sorts this year. Part of it is because I'm a little behind on the games right now, but a lot of it in my book has to do with oversaturation. I feel like they could innovate even more if given enough time and less stringent deadlines. I don't mind DLC when it's purely cosmetic and optional, but things like locking "true endings", pay-to-win mechanics, loot boxes, and any other types of microtransactions are definitely not for me.

Prism is a fan game IIRC, but it was built using Crystal's engine, so in my head it still qualifies. XD

Currently playing: Link's Awakening (Switch), WarioWare Gold

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx I do think that part of my very negative reaction to the ultra games is because we got them right after the original Sun/Moon. The very next year. It wasn't just another Pokemon game the next year - something I'd never minded before - it was, mostly - the very same Pokemon game again, on the same engine, the very next year. Talk about over saturation.

Although I do like most of the new content, the one thing from the first S/M that I preferred was crazy Lusamine. I felt like in the Ultra games they tried hard to shift her from insane horrible abusive parent to the misguided but still vaguely heroic trope and toned down a lot of abusive parent aspects. But it was the relationship between Lusamine, Lily and Gladion that was the most memorable aspect of the game for me. I actually thought GF brave for showing a story like that in a kids game - only for them to change their minds and tone it down later. And that scene where she fuses with the Ultra beast? That was nuts! It was a shame we didn't get to actually fight her as the beast, but I think that's because doing so would have forced a higher rating for the game and Pokemon will always be E rated.

But on the other hand, I did like how they double down on the parallel dimension thing and had the villains from previous games all show up in the post game. Even if I think Ghetsis should have been the leader, not Giovanni. I like the older version of Giovanni and Team Rocket being basically just a Pokemon mafia out to make money via poaching, stealing and the like with Giovanni being a mob boss. Ghetsis was definitely more of the world conquering megalomaniac type. I mean hell, he tries to make Kyuem outright murder you in in BW2.

On a side note, I pissed off my friend by spoiling that scene without thinking.

@ThanosReXXX There are rumors going around that XboxX and PS5 could both be 500 dollar or more machines. It's really pushing the line for that affordability aspect. But I was the one who made that post a while back pointing out how it seems, to me, that while other products have steadily gone up in price over the years, video games have gone up more slowing. I remember DVDs being 20 dollars at the same time as games being 60 and yet games are still 60 while many new blue rays tend to be 30-40.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Edelgard profile pic credit to: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Zuljaras

Anti-Matter wrote:

Ninfan wrote:

I did not mean something bad saying dead, I mean you can say dead if it's in the correct tone of voice. ca'nt I.

LOL 🤣🤣🤣
Open your English book and study the other words you haven't knew yet.

You are the last person here to tell anyone to open English books. Listen to your own advice for once.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Well, I sure hope games aren't going to get more expensive than 60. That's the most I'll pay for a new game, or at least: for the regular version of a new game. I've bought my share of limited or special editions, but then you're also getting your money's worth. Usually, I never even buy games day one, so many of the games that I own, have been bought after a discount, or have been dug up from the bargain bin.

As for the consoles themselves: while it's true that the rumored price point is a rather steep one for a console, it's still not leaning towards a 1000, which is what you're looking at if you would now have to buy a completely new PC that could surpass them power-wise. And even though consoles are becoming more and more like PC's in a box, they're still highly customized versions of those "off the shelf" components, so a 1:1 comparison isn't entirely possible. And in essence, they don't need to be just as powerful as a PC, because they don't need to run all kinds of stuff in the background, like PC's do, or at least less stuff, compared to regular computers.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NintendoByNature

@HobbitGamer haha yea I never actually went back to play anything..i ended up watching tiger king on Netflix instead. I've never seen so many odd people on one show.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-5367-2536-4308

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Dang, I think I missed you by about 10 minutes last night. Sorry if you were waiting around. I’m down for a make up night in the near future. I think I’m drinking beers on Zoom tonight though, a friend in a group chat turned 40 today. He was supposed to celebrate with his family over spring break on Sanibel Island, but instead, he’s celebrating with six other guys via video chat, haha! I’m definitely gonna start Tiger King sometime soon.

@ThanosReXXX - I haven’t had a chance to read it from start to finish. I flipped around the site and could tell right away it’s good, and left it as an open window in my browser. I’ll read every word eventually though. I was pretty excited to see some of the early stuff like the mechanical games, I love learning about stuff like that.

@HobbitGamer - My new job as the guy who does everything for everyone is a 14 hour shift, and it’s kicking me in the tail pretty hard. My new brick and mortar shop should be up next time I fire up AC. I’m hoping it’s the path to the ladder. And a toilet.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

gcunit

The trump card for me in the PC vs Console debate is Identity. Having a PC is a kind of cobbled together experience - you grab a generic OS, install it on a generic storage drive, kept in a generic case; whereas with a console it has Identity - e.g. my Wii console, controllers and games are all unmistakably 'Wii', easily distinguished from my Xbox stuff, and is associated with a defined period (2006-2012, bar the odd Just Dance release etc.). PC gaming is just a mish-mash melting pot lacking distinct identity, so I can't build the same bond with it.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NotTelevision

@bimmy-lee That should be interesting and make for a good story later. I saw an Elvis Juice when I was making my daily “essentials” run earlier. Refreshing as heck now that the weather has warmed up. 🍻

NotTelevision

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Glad i'm no longer have interest with PC games, even i have to choose The Sims console versions due to its versatility to play quickly without thinking about machine specs.
Just insert the disc or cartridge, wait to load and play the game.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (96)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (95)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (91)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, there's some pretty neat stuff in there, and plenty that even I didn't know about, so that was a nice surprise. Just goes to show that you truly CAN learn something new every day...

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee it's Cool man. I'm free for a 30 minute session whenever. Just let me know.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code:SW-5367-2536-4308

Grumblevolcano

@Heavyarms55 Looking back it feels like Ultra Sun/Moon was its own game instead of DLC for the sole purpose of trying to keep 3DS alive for longer. Retail titles were the most reliable way to show that a console was still alive and being supported, this may change in the future as a result of all these lockdowns.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

I lost my gaming appetite today. 😔
Don't know what game should i play for quick burst before i sleep. (Help me with one suggestion: 3DS or NDS)
My mind was not in the mood to draw nor to play.
Corona virus pandemic really made me very afraid and angry at the same time.
That pesky virus must DIE !

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

HobbitGamer

@Anti-Matter I mean, it won’t, so it’s best to try and not get to anxious about it. Play something on DS

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Anti-Matter

@HobbitGamer
Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂
I'm playing Cooking Mama 2 right now.

My Top 6 games :

ThanosReXXX

What the hell? I'm away from the site for a couple of hours, and all of a sudden I get an e-mail about a Direct Mini, that Nintendo literally ninja'd onto the worldwide web...

Tons of great announcements, though, so I'm good. Here's hoping the "I want a Nintendo Direct" whiners will now finally shut up...

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX I am a whiner but after the new direct and you probably know why.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Zuljaras

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic